THE FOOL

This Fool is inspired by the Pueblo Indian sacred clown Koshare. He wears the mask of Coyote, the trickster. He represents a playful way to look at a situation. The Fool makes a shadow puppet scene of danger. The message is to look beyond our fears to see what really lies behind it. The path leads towards the full moon, which symbolizes the cyclical nature of life. The boat represents a journey into the mystery. The fool’s knapsack lays open in front of him, what will he take with him? The aspen stick with eyes symbolizes the wisdom gained on his journey.

I lived for a number of years on the Zuni Indian Reservation where I was fortunate to see their ceremonial dances. One evening as I stood on the rooftop watching the dances below, a Koshare, the sacred clown climbed up the ladder and tricked me into buying a plastic turquoise necklace for twenty dollars, the crowd roared with laughter. I felt embarrassed but also delighted to play the fool in their ceremony. I treasure that necklace; it reminds me to laugh at myself. 

Meaning: Whenever we begin a new endeavor or journey in life we have no idea of the actual outcome. The Fool is here to tell you to trust the journey, to realize our fears are fantasies and to enter the mystery with a playful sense of adventure.